Upma can be made from a variety of base ingredients like semolina, wheat/ rice/ ragi vermicelli, brown/ white beaten rice, etc. Using your child's favorite vegetables and alternate base ingredients you can creatively make an upma to suit your baby.
- 1 cup beaten rice / poha (thin variety)
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1/2 cup fine chopped vegetables - carrot, beans, peas, cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- Soak poha in water and drain it in a strainer. Leave it for 5-10 minutes till soft. Wash it again if it isn't soft enough.
- Heat ghee. Crackle cumin seeds in it.
- Add carrot, beans, peas and cabbage. Fry till vegetables soften.
- Add the soaked poha and coriander leaves to it and mix well.
- Cook on sim heat for few more minutes. Mash and serve warm to the baby.
Please Note :
- There are many varieties of beaten rice. Here, we have used the thin one as it's soft and easy to swallow. Alternately, you can use the thick variety by just increasing the soaking time.
- Once the baby is older, you can add a pinch of salt to any upma that you make for him.
Nutritional Facts :
- Brown beaten rice is a as it's made from brown rice which is rich in vitamins and fiber.
- The healthiest option of base ingredient is ragi vermicelli although it might not taste as good as the wheat or rice varieties.
Alternate Upma varieties :
In the above recipe, instead of beaten rice -
- you can use 1/4 cup of roasted fine semolina or chiroti rawa. Temper in the same method as mentioned above and add a cup of boiling water. Cover and cook on sim heat for few minutes.
- you can use 1/4 cup of wheat / ragi / rice vermicelli. Boil the vermicelli in sufficient water and drain. Temper it in the same method as mentioned above.