After the age of 8 months babies can be given soft dosas, idlies, etc. Mini Fried idlies is a good choice at this point as the size is perfect for babies and it takes lesser time to make than regular idlies. Moreover, adding some vegetables can help make it a nutritious choice for your baby. For making Paniyaram or Mini Fried Idlies you need to get a stand which resembles a tava with molds in it. This is locally called a Kuzhi Paniyaram stand and can be directly used to cook Paniyarams on low flame.
- 3 tablespoons of dosa batter
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tablespoon grated carrot
- 1/2 tomato, finely chopped
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon ghee
For the Batter :
- Soak 3 measures of idly rice with one measure of whole, white urad dal and 1/4 teaspoon of methi seeds for about 6 - 7 hours.
- Grind them into a paste with some soaked poha (beaten rice). Let this batter rest overnight.
- The next day add a pinch of salt and beat well in circular motion. Please add a small quantity of salt to the batter (after consulting your doctor).
- You can use this batter for making regular idlies and dosas, besides mini fried idlies.
For the Mini Fried Idlies :
- Grease the molds with ghee. Add mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Fill batter in each mold.
- Garnish with grated carrot, finely cut tomatoes and coriander leaves. Cover the mold with lid.
- Cook each idly for about 5-7 mins on sim heat.
- Flip over, put back the lid and continue frying the other side for a minute.
If this dish is being made for adults :
- You can add some more salt, finely chopped onions, green chillies and grated ginger to the dosa batter. You can temper the idlies in oil with rai, channa dal and curry leaves.
- Please try to use dosa batter that's slightly sour. In other words, you can use the previous day's leftover batter.
Please Note :
- Try to use a non-stick mold as otherwise you will need to pour ghee from the sides after filling batter into the molds.
- My stand's manual advised me to use it only on low flame. Please read instructions on how to use your stand.
- Prick a toothpick in the center of the mini fried idly. Check if it comes out clean. If so, it's cooked completely and ready to eat. Else, put it back in the mould and steam it for few more minutes.
- You can use finely chopped spring onions or mint leaves instead of coriander leaves for a different taste.