Instant Khichdi Mix (for travelling)
- 2 tablespoons of yellow moong dal
- 2 tablespoons of rice
- 1 teaspoon of ghee
To make the powdered mix :
- Mix the dal and rice. Wash well till the milkiness goes away and dry it in the sun.
- Heat ghee and roast this mixture in it for about 5-7 minutes.
- The mixture will start turning light brown indicating it's done.
- Now cool it and grind it to desired consistency in a mixer jar.
- Store this in an air-tight container and pack it in your travel bag.
To make the khichdi :
When you need to feed the baby, boil a teaspoon of this mix in 1/4 cup water for about 5-7 minutes, stirring continuously. You can float the vessel containing khichdi mix over water that is boiling in an electric cooker. You can also boil water in a stainless steel vessel placed over an induction heater and cook the khichdi mix in a similar manner. These gadgets are useful in a hotel room where you might need to quickly cook something for the baby in a hygienic setting.
- Add a tiny pinch of salt to the khichdi once the baby is older.
- This mix has a shelf life of about a week. If you don't roast the dal and rice in ghee the taste becomes a bit bland but you get a longer shelf life.